Simple IIS Management
IIS, when installed with default settings, requires very little management.
The most common task I do is to stop and restart the IIS service. This is
usually necessary because certain ASP coding errors will cause the service to
To stop and restart IIS:
- Open "Control Panel".
- Double-click on "Administrative Tools".
- Double-click on "Services".
- Click once on "IIS Admin Service".
- In the tool bar, look for an icon with a square and right-pointing
arrow. It should say "Restart Service" when you mouse over.
- You will get a message box saying other services will restart. Click on
- Make sure the "World Wide Web Publishing Service" has started
by locating the service in the list. The "Status" column should
This process may not always solve the problem of the service hang. If it
doesn't, the only alternative is to shut down the machine.